Augusta Legitimation Attorney
Establishing Paternity in Columbia, Richmond, and Burk Counties
Child support and visitation rights are important for fathers, but what about when parents are not married? In Georgia, paternity must be established for the father to have any legal rights to the child. This can be done through a DNA test or by signing a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity form. Once paternity is established, the father can then file for legitimation. This is a legal process that gives the father parental rights to the child, including custody and visitation rights.
Should You Go Through the Process of Legitimation?
Fathers play an important role in the lives of their children and, in some cases, fathers may need to establish legal rights to their children before being allowed to be part of their lives. This is where legitimation comes in.
Fathers may want to go through with the legitimation process for the following reasons:
- While mothers always have legal rights to their children, fathers do not have these rights unless they marry the child's mother or take legal action to establish their parental rights.
- In the State of Georgia, the only way for a father to establish legal rights to his child is through legitimation.
- In some cases, the father of a child will be expected to pay child support but may or may not be granted custody or visitation privileges, based on the facts in the case.
- Through legitimation, a child can benefit from being the father’s legal next of kin, which includes access to insurance benefits.
- After legitimation, the father can help make important decisions about their child’s wellbeing, such as decisions regarding medical care, education, and special needs.
We’re Here When You Need Help with Paternity Issues in Augusta
If you were never married to the mother of your children, it is in your best interests to contact an experienced family law attorney from our firm. The law surrounding legitimation and custody rights is complex and having an experienced lawyer on your side can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case.
What Sets Our Firm Apart?
For over a decade, Alex M. Brown Law, LLC has been helping clients navigate the complicated landscape of family law. Our skilled attorney is respected by his peers and highly regarded by the state bar. Attorney Brown takes the time to listen to his clients and understand their unique situations before providing input and advice. He won't tell people what they want to hear but instead provides them with the truth. This honest approach has earned him the trust of clients and is a foundation of his successes in court. Alex is also proud to have been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers Rising Stars list for 2016-2022 and recognized as a Top Attorney by Georgia Trend Magazine.
If you're looking for an experienced and knowledgeable attorney to help with your family law matter, contact us today at (706) 397-5088.
Highly Regarded by Judges & State Bar
President of Georgia Family Law Bar Association
Highly Responsive to Calls & Appointments
There Are No Unnecessary Charges or Fees